About 200,000 international students from more than 170 countries and regions of the world are studying at, among others, universities and Japanese language schools in Japan and a plan to add nearly 100,000 more by 2020, Japan is a hotbed for foreigners looking to gain an education. In 2015, Japan saw a 13% increase in international students and a 25% jump in the language travel industry. Basically, students are flocking to Japan.

For much of Japan’s history, it remained isolated from the outside world. In the 19th century, however, the small island country opened its doors to trade and an active foreign policy, and it has never looked back in emerging as a major global power. Making the leap to study abroad in Japan will be the opportunity to immerse yourself within a top-notch academic environment and a vibrant, autonomous culture which has stood the test of time and globalization to remain true to its roots.

Study abroad in Japan and discover the country’s historic landmarks, culture, and lifestyle while you earn college credit.



Are you excited about studying abroad in Japan, but not sure how the education system is organized? Here’s everything you need to know about the structure of Higher Education in Japan.


Japanese people are known to have a sober nature and attach importance on discipline. In Japan, the hospitality, which is a spirit of caring about the guest with the highest priority, is deeply rooted and international students are welcomed warmly.


The nation is known for its rich culture, unbeatable cuisine, and quality of education and has an adult literacy rate of nearly 100%! Here’s what you need to know about how higher education is structured.


Axiom offers professional guidance to the Bangladeshi students who are intended to study in Japan. We will be with you on each step from the initial general consultations to arriving in the country.



The cost of studying abroad in Japan is significantly lower than in the United Kingdom or the United States, without sacrificing the quality of education. Here’s what you need to know to begin financing your study abroad!


There are six types of Japanese government-sponsored scholarships available under the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship program: those for research students, teacher training students, undergraduate university students, Japanese studies students, college of technology students, special training students.


Accommodations for international students are diverse. There are accommodations operated by local governments and universities. About 77% of international students are staying in private housing. When looking for private housing, you can inquire from your school’s international student office, through the Internet, information magazines or you may get a real estate agent to look for a place in the area you plan to stay in.


International students are allowed to work part-time upon receiving permission from the school attended as well as from the nearest Regional Immigration Bureau in Japan.


Bringing Spouse Photo and Content Need


Living in Japan as an expat offers life in a fascinating country that combines the busy, modern and exciting cities of places like Tokyo and Osaka with the historical and traditional rural countrysides of places such as Kyoto and Matsumoto.

A “Temporary Visitor” visa is required when entering Japan to take an exam. When applying for this visa, the exam slip from the concerned school must be presented to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your home country. This visa allows the applicant 15, 30 or 90 days stay in Japan. If the applicant is admitted into a school during this period, the applicant may apply to change his/her status to “College Student” in Japan.

Japanese institutions of higher education basically give all classes in Japanese. Students need Japanese language skills equivalent to those who pass the Level 1 or Level 2 Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JPLT).

University and junior college

There are universities and junior colleges that require a certain score on the JPLT or a certain score on the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) as an item of qualification for acceptance. In addition, some universities and colleges conduct entrance examinations in Japanese in the form of interviews, essay writing or Japanese composition.

Graduate school

There are graduate schools that require a certain score on the JPLT in the selection of examinees for the master’s degree and Ph.D. courses.
In recent years, universities and graduate schools have been offering an increasing number of programs making it possible for students to study in English and obtain a degree.

Professional Training College

A certain level of Japanese language proficiency is required for students who wish to study in a professional training college.

Spouses and children of “College Student” holders who study in a university, junior college, college of technology or professional training college can reside in Japan under the “Dependent” status of residence. Its period is based on the period of stay of the person supporting the dependent. It is recommended that international students bring their dependents once they are familiar with life in Japan and are economically stable.

The regulation that made a guarantor necessary to acquire entry and status of residence in Japan was abolished in December 1996. Therefore, you no longer need a guarantor to enter Japan as a foreign student.

However, please note that even if you are Japanese, guarantors are often required in many aspects of life in Japan. For example, you need a guarantor when you are renting an apartment, taking an entrance examination or gaining admission to a Japanese university or special training college. After admission, you may also need a guarantor when you are making an application for a scholarship or tuition subsidies. Guarantors are needed for both Japanese and foreign students alike in such cases. Therefore, although you no longer need a guarantor to gain entry into Japan, there will be many situations when they are needed after you arrive in Japan.

If you are considering studying in Japan, it is important that you inquire with the school you are planning to attend regarding the need for guarantors since policies differ depending on the school. For example, if you are enrolling in a Japanese-language Institute, the school may become your guarantor while you are a student of the Institute.

A5: The “guarantor” for the visa application is the person who makes a promise to the head of the embassy/consulate (the Japanese ambassador/ consul-general, etc.) to the effect that the visa applicant will stay legally in Japan. The responsibilities of the guarantor only entail moral responsibilities and do not entail legal responsibilities like that of the “guarantor” in the Civil Code. However, if it is recognized that the guaranteed matters (expenses for the applicant’s stay in Japan, return travel expenses, compliance with laws and regulations) have not been performed rightly, that person would lose credibility as a guarantor in subsequent visa applications. However, be aware that if the guarantor or inviting person made a false statement in the documents about their relationship to the visa applicant or the purpose of visit, or if that caused terrorists to enter Japan or crime such as human trafficking, they may be held criminally responsible.

A “Residence Card” will be issued for foreigners residing in Japan for more than 3 months. It is important that this resident card is carried at all times and presented to authorized officers such as immigration officers or police officers when requested. If there are any changes by changing or leaving school and the place you live, you need to report to a government office, such as a local Immigration Bureau.

Procedural flow

(1) When entering Japan via Narita, Haneda, Chubu or Kansai Airports

During the immigration process, “LANDING PERMISSION” will be stamped on your passport and a residence card will be issued. Persons who have been issued a residence card must give notification of the address at the municipal office of their address within 14 days.

(2) When entering Japan via any airport other than Narita, Haneda, Chubu, and Kansai Airports

During the immigration process, “LANDING PERMISSION” will be stamped on your passport, and near the landing permit there will be another stamp indicates the later delivery of a residence card. After the notification of the address, the residence card will be sent to the notified address by mail.

If you wish to extend your scholarship while you study in Japan, consult with the school or the scholarship organizer.

You can apply for a new scholarship. The application deadline and eligibility period of a scholarship vary with each scholarship organizer. Consult your school as soon as possible.


Open chat
Hello 👋
Can we help you?