Student Accommodation in Germany

Students in Germany either live in a student hall of residence or private accommodation. We recommend finding accommodation before you arrive in Germany. You’ll most likely have to find a place to live on your own because, in contrast to other countries, German universities do not automatically assign rooms to students when they enroll.

Availability and Cost

Depending on where you study and what your financial situation is like, it may not be easy to find accommodation. Therefore, start looking as early as possible – ideally before you arrive in Germany.

The International Office at the university or your Axiom Education Advisors can provide advice and useful information for finding a place to live.

Types of accommodation

There are several student halls of residence in every university town. A room in a residence hall is frequently the most affordable accommodation you will find. However, at some universities, rooms in student residence halls are in high demand. But if you apply early enough, you have good chances of getting a room. You should apply as soon as you receive your notification of admission from your German university. The applications are processed by the Studentenwerk (Student Services Organisation), which is responsible for operating the residence halls and allocating rooms.

At some universities, the International Office is responsible for allocating rooms in student halls of residence. If this is true in your case, inquire your Axiom Education Advisors about how best to obtain a room in a residence hall.

Like elsewhere in the world, private accommodations can vary enormously. In Germany, you will find everything from empty rooms to fully furnished flats on the market. You can rent a room or an entire flat. There are also rooms available in flat shares.

In a flat share (WG, or Wohngemeinschaft), several people live together in one flat. Each person has his or her own bedroom, but shares the kitchen, bathroom, possibly a living room and sometimes the cost of telephone and Internet. Flatshares are very popular among students.

Usually, you can only sign a rental contract for a room or apartment in person. In other words, you probably won’t be able to rent a private room until you arrive in Germany and meet the landlord. Nevertheless, you can start looking via the Internet and possibly set up appointments to view the flats when you arrive.


Waldhausweg 15-21

66123 Saarbrücken

302 Places

240 up to 713 EUR / month



Geschwister-Scholl-Straße 11

35039 Marburg

200 Places

186 up to 285 EUR / month



Goßlerstraße 13

37073 Göttingen

201 Places

144 up to 547 EUR / month



Albert-Schweitzer-Straße 24

78120 Furtwangen

76 Places

195 up to 225 EUR / month



Wildbaderstraße 16

70372 Stuttgart

29 Places

295 up to 345 EUR / month



Parkring 21

68159 Mannheim

99 Places

335 up to 360 EUR / month



Schwetzinger Straße 99

68165 Mannheim

18 Places

335 up to 340 EUR / month



Steubenstraße 76-78

68199 Mannheim

39 Places

365 up to 425 EUR / month



Künhoferstraße 2

90489 Nürnberg

96 Places

175 up to 240 EUR / month



Eduard-Pflüger-Straße 56

53113 Bonn

81 Places

243 up to 545 EUR / month



Gartlager Weg 37

49074 Osnabrück

58 Places

206 up to 333 EUR / month



Allmandring 15

70569 Stuttgart

30 Places

235 EUR / month

As soon as you have found accommodation, you must register with the local Resident Registration Office. This is where you receive your “confirmation of registration” (Meldebestätigung). With this in hand, you can then apply for your residence permit.



In addition to the confirmation of registration, you also need to apply for permission to reside in Germany. The International Office can give you the address and tell you exactly which documents you should take along.



You have to apply for a residence permit in person at the Alien Registration Office. They will ask to see the following documents:

 Confirmation of registration from the Resident Registration Office

 Confirmation of health insurance coverage

 Certificate of enrolment from your German university

 Proof of financial resources (if applicable)

 Passport (and visa, if you have one)

 Health certificate (if necessary)

 Money for the fee

 Tenancy agreement (if applicable)

 Biometric passport photos

 The fee for first-time applicants can cost up to 110 euros. The fee for an extension can cost up to 80 euros.

Your residence permit is issued in the form of a chip card which contains your personal data, such as your passport photo and fingerprints. Four to six weeks after applying, you will be notified by the Alien Registration Office that your residence permit has arrived. You must pick it up in person. Your residence permit is valid for at least one year and up to two years in some cases and can be extended if necessary.

Get your all study related matters in Germany !

Open chat
Hello 👋
Can we help you?